Wednesday, August 27, 2014

My Journey Through a Knee Replacement!!!


I haven't written a post in quite a few weeks and there is a good reason why.  I have been consumed with getting my classroom ready for school. I have also been busy visiting the cardiologist, primary care physician, and dentist to get clearance for my total knee replacement.  I have suffered with this knee for over two years now and I didn't realize how much this knee pain was impacting my social and emotional health.  As I think back on last Christmas I remember my granddaughter asking me to come into her room to play with her dolls.  I couldn't get over the safety gate that was in her door and it wasn't one you could just open and go through.  It impacts me more today then it did then, or at least it feels that way.  It has been such a slow reduction in my quality of life and I had given up all social events or challenges.  Hey, if the Dollar Tree is a challenge then you know you are in trouble, right?  

Okay, so tomorrow I am having my bad knee removed (may it rest in peace) and having my new, good knee put in.  I am hoping and praying that all goes well.  This may sound strange, but I am so glad that this is happening tomorrow.  It is such a relief at this point because I have been in so much pain.  I didn't talk about how much pain I was in at school but it you watched me getting up, walking or sitting down, you knew.  I know this isn't teacher/education related but teachers are real people too and this is REAL! 

A lot of preparation has gone into this since July and I am ready.  My continuous passive motion machine (CPM) was delivered today and set up to meet my needs.  I got to try it on for size to see how it would feel once I get home.  If you don't know what a CPM is just google it or look it up on YouTube and there are plenty of videos to watch.  So tomorrow is "day one" of my journey to healing and I am looking forward to blogging about so that I can help others that may be going through the same thing.  The tough part was leaving my classroom of 21 first graders behind for a few months while I go through rehabilitation.  My prayers were answered and the teacher that I was hoping could do the job is doing it and I am at peace!  I am closing with a scripture that I have clung to for years: Psalm 56:3 "what time I am afraid, I will trust in thee".                 

4 comments:

  1. Prayers for a smooth surgery and a quick recovery!

    ~Laura
    Luv My Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience of Knee replacement by Best Knee Surgeon In Los Angeles..Your experience will really help for patients... It is a helpful informative post. Thanks for sharing this great information

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent information I was looking for this info for my mission.
    Neck Pain Frankfort

    ReplyDelete