Thursday, June 12, 2014

How I Organize My Graphics On My Mac!!!






My "Inner Nerd" has been released, so beware!  Mac Users here you go!

Pixa has made my life so much easier in getting my graphics organized and finding what I need quick.  If you are on a Mac and you have hundreds (or thousands, no confession from me) of graphics to keep up with, then you NEED Pixa.  If you are not a Mac user here it is: "Boo and Hiss from windows users".  See I do support you!  

Here is a quick video to pique your interest if you are not 100% sold on Pixa and you don't want to spend the money to find out if you like something or not right?  Of course you don't and I had to be sold too before I could be persuaded to spend the money for Pixa.




Pixa is a file management app for the Mac designed to help those working with graphic files such as jpg, png, gif, eps and more.  The developer of Pixa says Pixa is an image organizer, but really it is much more.  Not only will Pixa organize your images/graphics, but it will also read your design files from Photoshop and Illustrator.  

One of the fantastic features of Pixa is the "Live Folders" feature.  Live Folders reference folders that are already on your computer. Pixa reads the changes to that folder in real-time when the changes happen.  Live Folders make it possible for an image to be tagged, searched and organized without changing the original files on your computer. Before purchasing Pixa I already had my folders divided into Graphics, Lettering, Digital Papers and Frames.  Now those are in Pixa and I can go to the top right hand search window and look for all items that are "chalk" and I get all graphics that are chalk related. (see below)

  


Another feature about Pixa that I love is the way it auto-tags.  Pixa will automatically tag images by size and major color.  I always add my own tags so that it makes creating that much easier.  Pixa is a fantastic app for file organization and I recommend it to everyone who is into designing.  The Pixa developer, Shiny Frog has a 10 day demo available on their website and it is for  Mac OS X 10.7.3+ users.  The first time you use Pixa and load your files, it will take a while and you will want to do that close to bedtime so you can let Pixa do the job.  Once you add folders to Pixa you will see a pulsing icon next to the folders  which means it is working and they disappear when Pixa has finished.  



If you have any questions about Pixa during the trial or if you already own Pixa there is a FAQ for Pixa where you can have your questions answered.  Pixa is available in the Mac App Store for $30.00.  That means you can install Pixa on both your desktop and your laptop.  You can also get some helpful hints on the Pixa Tips blog.  I am not an expert on Pixa but I am certainly sold on using it for creating my products.  If you use the ten day trial please come back and let me know what you think!  


13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing about this! I am definitely going to be checking into this and doing a trial period.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, Let me know what you think about it after you have used the trial period.

      Delete
  2. Love your new blog design. As for Pixa, I couldn't imagine living without it. It is truly the best clipart organizer. Of course, if you forget to give extra name sot some of your pieces, you might never find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't live without Pixa either, I was using it when the beta was out and It just got better and better.

      Delete
  3. I am very intrigued and will now need to go try this out! Thanks so much Deb! Your new design looks great!

    Matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, let me know what you think when you try it out!

      Delete
  4. New blog design looks great! Love Kassie's work. Jayne
    Smart Kids
    ABCs of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to check it out! THanks for the post!

    Linda
    Down the Learning Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, let me know what you think after you check it out!

      Delete
  6. Pixa is great. However I made the mistake of organizing all my digital files in live folders. I lost all sub folder labeling when I changed computers. I heard if I had not used the live folder option and used actual tags I would have been fine. Hours lost. So very sad now.

    ReplyDelete