Monday, May 13, 2013

Let's Get Acquainted Linky with Flying Into First Grade!


(Click Here to Join)

THIS IS A LINKY PARTY TO GET TO KNOW MORE ABOUT OTHER TEACHER BLOGGERS AND OF COURSE IT IS JUST FOR FUN! 

Linky Questions

1.  What made you decide to become a teacher?
I can't remember not wanting to be a teacher to be honest.  I remember as a little girl I would line up all of my stuffed animals and write on my green chalkboard.  Yep, I am ancient, I didn't have computers, iPads or Activeboards.  We had chalkboards and that is all we had except for old school typewriters.  
2. What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?
When I started teaching Special Needs Preschool, I found this to be so rewarding.  I saw children walk, talk and feed themselves for the first time.  The age group for SNP is between three and five years old.  There was a little girl named Maggie in my class that was hearing impaired.  She had never been taught to communicate so she was quite a challenge.  I taught her sign language and she learned to communicate for the first time and I remember it so clearly.  The very first sign she learned was "bubbles" and her eyes got very big and she kept signing bubbles over and over again.  After that she would pull me in the floor and grab my sign book and sign "teach me" over and over.  She is now attending Gallaudet and I told her Mom she would go there when she was only 3 years old.  I am friends with her on facebook now and it is so awesome to see life come so alive for her over 20 years later.       
3. If you were not a teacher, what would you be?
If I were not a teacher I would love to be a Graphics Designer but all I can draw are stick people and they don't sell very well!


1 comment:

  1. Love it!! I used the chalkboards too so we can be ancient together!

    Crystal Shepherd
    lucytumnus@gmail.com
    The lamppost in 1st grade math

    ReplyDelete