Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans Day 2012 and I Am Thankful!


In the United States, Veterans Day is usually observed on November 11.  However, if it occurs on a Sunday then the following Monday is designated for holiday leave, and if it occurs Saturday then either Sunday or Saturday or Friday, may be designated.  Regardless of when it occurs we should all be thankful to those who served in the military.  As a military family I know that it is not just the veteran that gives but their families as well.  

So today I thank my two sons for serving and providing the freedom that some of us take for granted.  Thank you to all military families and I know a lot who have given so much in the name of freedom.  I have a lot of people tell me to tell my sons "thank you for serving in the military" and it always touches my heart.  

I have a son still a home with me after three years and still disabled from serving.  Three years ago I drove to Tuscaloosa to find my son in the hospital for what we thought would be a short stay.  It was the longest four hour drive of my life to get there.  After serving he finally just collapsed one day and was taken away in an ambulance.  We were called to be by his side and we were there for him.  Three years later the V.A. still denies his and thousands of claims because they refuse to recognize that PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) is a defined and legitimate disability.  For him there was a huge loss; he lost his home, his girlfriend, had to drop out of school with only one semester left only to find that the V.A. would not help him and he had to move back home.  He was headed to Purdue for his Ph.D. in organic chemistry and now all of that is on hold or may never happen because the V.A. refuses to recognize my son's disability.  

Yes, this is tough to handle and there are times when I think I can't handle it any longer but then there is always someone who encourages you to go on.  To be honest if he were not living with me he would just be another homeless veteran and there are a lot more of them then you know.  So today or any day that you are around a person in or out of uniform please tell them that you appreciate everything they give up to serve.  

I know this was not teacher or blog related but it is life related and we all need an education about what really goes on in the life of our veterans.  He is trying so hard to turn his life around and doing woodworking and has an Etsy shop called Thomas Fine Woodworks and it helps us pay for the medical expenses that we have to pay out of pocket.  My TpT money that I earn goes toward helping him out as well.  I am just thankful that TpT is here to help us out and be able to keep our home.  When I lay down at night I am always thanking God for the roof over my head and that I have provided one for someone else.  It is tough, but at the end of the day we are family and we love each other and trust God to provide for our needs.    


       


3 comments:

  1. Deb, my sincerest thanks for your family's sacrifice. I am heading over to your TpT store right now. Am also curious about his etsy shop. Blessings and tons of appreciation - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa,
    His Etsy shop is Thomas Fine Woodworks and here is his store if you would like to take a look (http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThomasFineWoodworks). Thank you very much for your wonderful words of encouragement and he has no idea that I wrote about him on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. One just never knows what another person goes through. My husband was in the Army for 15 years and my younger son is currently serving in the Navy on the USS George Washington in Japan. My prayers and thanks go out to your and your family.
    ~Petra

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...