Sunday, October 21, 2012

Place Value Tips and a FREEBIE!!!


Place Value is a "hit or miss" kind of concept for some children. They are either ready or not ready to take on this concept. I have found a really easy and quick way that probably isn't far from what all teachers start with and that is "houses".  We all live in some type of house although it may appear different on the outside, it is where we live. I teach my children that numbers live in houses just like we do and when we move to a new house our address changes just like numbers do. 

Summary:

The concept of tens and ones is the foundational basis for our numeric system; students should be exposed to the idea of bundling 10 ones immediately. Students must be familiar with and demonstrate their knowledge of this basic premise that a one-digit number indicates the number of ones, while a two-digit number indicates the number of tens and ones.  The idea that each digit in a number has a specific value is key to moving fluently through math. Here is the standard listed below: 

1.NBT.2                                                                                          Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones. Understand the following as special cases: 


-10 can be thought of as a bundle of ten ones — called a “ten.” 
-The numbers from 11 to 19 are composed of a ten and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine ones. 
-The numbers 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 refer to one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine tens (and 0 ones).





Here is my tip on helping students understand place value a little better.  I bought 25 of the baseball card protector sheets that hold 9 cards so that I had a pocket for ones, tens and hundreds for my first graders.  I have a file where they can go and get a sheet protector.  Laminating the numbers makes it easier for them to insert since it makes them stiffer and the laminating makes them glide in easier.  They load in the numbers and it begins to click a lot easier for them.  Eventually they don't even need the sheets any longer.

Click this image for your freebie!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the freebie! We are working on place value next week so I will be using this!!
    Christy :)
    Mrs. Christy’s Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea with the baseball cards sheet protectors. Lucky me, I just happen to have some! :D

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome activities and blog! I just Boo'd you on my blog! (and gave you a shout out!)
    :) Dana
    Go here to find out what to do-
    http://funin1stgrade.blogspot.com/2012/10/ive-been-bood-some-freebies-for-you.html

    ReplyDelete