Thursday, July 26, 2012

Toolbox Revisited and Decorated!


Well, my guys all went camping this week and I purchased this toolbox from Amazon and it needed a facelift.  This is it in the "newbie" stage and "before I  got some ideas in my head" stage.  I have a theme in my room this year of the seventies and so I found some adorable papers at Hobby Lobby with peace signs, stripes, paisleys and with stickers and letters.  I wanted one where all the drawers were all the same size and some of you will get it and some will just say "good grief".  I had originally purchased the one with the mini drawers on top and the size drawers you see here on bottom.  When it arrived I decided I didn't like it and gave it to my son to use in his wood-shop.  So all day yesterday I worked on this one and I had it all done except for one row.  I started with the first row and got the papers on but didn't think about putting the labels on until AFTER I had done the first row, UGH!  


So, now the question is this, "do I put the labels on and forget about it", or "do I redo the entire row of drawers"?  Okay, since I was the one that wanted all the drawers the same size you have probably already figured out the answer to that question.  Yes, I am redoing the drawers right after breakfast so it shouldn't take long.  I did not use a laminator to do the papers and used a large packing tape dispenser to eliminate some steps and work.  The tape works great but don't buy packing tape that is not the invisible kind because it pulls the paper off of the table with static electricity and ruins everything.  A few disasters along the way but the finished product looks like this.  What do you think?  Have you done a cabinet like this and what are your "TIPS AND TRICKS" to decorating one? 


Can't wait to get her filled up with goodies!












15 comments:

  1. Organising the 'goodies' in one of the toolboxes must be the best ever feeling...
    ✿ Judy
    teaching with J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith, I will keep you posted on how it goes. I tried to think of all of the things I use during the year that would work being all in one place. I sure hope it helps me to stay more organized.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this turned out great! I love it!

    Rebecca
    Classroom Compulsion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rebecca, It was trial and mostly error in learning but I finally got it. I just hope it works for me in the classroom. I also jumped over to your blog and am now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop by soon.
    I am having a Give Away - Stop by & Enter to Win.

    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb, I sent you an email last night but haven't heard back from you so just wanted to check in that you got it?

    Deborah
    The Paper Maid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! Deb! I am loving your tool box! I'm looking for one like that to store the zillions of crayons I just sorted! Thanks for sharing all of your tips too!

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sp pretty and colorful!!! Looks great! :)

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Great job, I LOVE it! With my OCD that would be great in my room! I'll have to see if I can find the same one on Amazon.
    ~Tina
    Laugh Live Love Learn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, Can you share how much you paid for the organizer on Amazon? Do you have an item # you can share for others interested in perhaps ordering one? Thanks, Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  10. The link to the one I purchased is right here: It is a long link and I am not sure how it is going to look on here. File Cabinet at Amazon
    If you make one please send me a link so I can go and see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to see your example using all of the same sized drawers. I bought the same one at Walmart--it was the only kind they had at the time. I'll show it off once I get around to it.
      I'm a new follower of your blog!
      Corinna :)
      Teaching Fabulous Firsties!

      Delete
  11. I love that all the drawers are the same size! :)

    I need to get one of these made. I know it will be so handy to have throughout the year!

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to make this! I just found your blog. It's cute! I'm your newest follower. When you get a chance, stop by and check out my new blog.
    Happy New School Year!
    Christy :)
    Mrs. Christy's Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your toolbox! So cute! I love your blog!

    http://fabulouslyfirst.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete