Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Techy Teacher "Linky Party"!!!




Hyperlinking Pages in PDF Format using a Mac

OK, Here is what you do if you want pages to hyperlink to each other.  
It is a start anyway.....
I am a MAC (Office 2011) user just so that is clear and I use PP.  
Before you save it as a pdf you may want to insert an "action" button 
(under "shapes" in PP) on each page of your PP somewhere so that 
you can hyperlink it once it is being worked on and in PDF format.  
You DO NOT need to hyperlink it in PP.
Helpful Hint:  At the top of the product opened in preview mode there 
are four squares: One is for "content" and you will see that if you 
hover over with your cursor.  The second one called thumbnails is 
the view you want so you can hyperlink easier.

Step One:  Find the PDF file you want to hyperlink, right click and
open in "Preview" and not anything else.
Step Two: Click on the "annotations tool" at the top that looks like 
a pencil
Step Three: Click on the "Link" button and it will turn blue. (it is active)
Step Four:  If you have inserted an "action button" from PP this is the 
easy part. 
Step Five: Capture the action button with a left click and hold to 
capture the specific part/graphic you want to hyperlink and the 
little black elongated oval will pop up that gives you a choice of 
"Page" or "URL" in the drop down menu.
Step Six: Choose "Page" and insert the number of the page you 
want it to go to in the middle and then click "done". Repeat until 
all pages are hyperlinked and check your work.
Step Seven: When you are done hyperlinking just unclick on the 
hyperlink button and it has automatically saved your hyperlinks. 
Step Eight:  I am sure there are some technical items I left off like 
letting your readers know that this contains hyperlinks so that they 
will know and can use the PDF properly like you intended.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    I use Mac Word 2011 instead of Powerpoint and I was able to follow your steps and create links in a PDF file. Thank you for such simple and clear directions.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you wrote about this...I was creating my TpT products in Word and was having a really hard time figuring out the links and why they weren't working once I converted it to a PDF. This will help a lot.
    I have another question that might be dumb...but any chance you know how to change page orientation through one document? Sometimes I want landscape and sometimes I was portrait but if I change it then it makes the entire thing one or the other...just thought I would ask since you seem to have way more experience than I do :)
    Elizabeth
    Kickin’ it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete